Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Searching

I have spent my life searching. Searching for what you might ask. Actually, I used to think that The World cared about questions like that, because I know that I did. I would see people and wonder what they are thinking. I would wonder how they got to where they are. I would ponder if they are doing what they are doing as some sort of act that they hope someone will notice, or are they just doing things for themselves. I used to think everyone else was that way as well, and that other people obsess over every detail of everything that they did because everyone else was watching for subtle signs. And not only that, but people were always looking at others to see the signs for themselves. Then it all came to me - no one notices, because everyone is too caught up in their own world to look too closely at anyone else's. That is one of the many reasons I have created this blog, as the subtitle says, my version of your world.

So, what was I searching for? No one that I've met covered over subtly with overtness. No one spent all of their time practicing small things that can be done that no one would notice unless someone was actively looking for them. Once I realized all of these things, I realized that I was alone. Or, better stated, possibly alone. So, I started a life long search for other's like me. But how to find them?

I searched high and I searched low, I watched the words people used, I watched how fluidly they moved, how quickly they could change topics, tried to guess at their world models by word choices and response to various verbal stimuli, etc. But, I am only human, so I could make a mistake, I could miss some cleverly hidden signal, I could be standing right next to one of the people I sought, but be too in the world to notice them. I had drifted.

So, I did what any rational person would do: I gave up. I realized that my quest was inspired by madness. I was obsessive and paranoid. So, I gave up that madness, and realized that we are all the same. One giant mass of humanity. There are no aliens amongst us. There were no next generations humans lording themselves over us, either overtly or subtly. No one here but us humans. So my search is over, and I have found what I was looking for - it was right under my nose all along.

That's the funny thing about noses, that which we seek always seems to turn up right under there.

The Edward

No comments: