Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A Liar and a Murderer

So, as I mentioned before, I watched the end of Star Wars Episode 3 recently. It was an ending that not only made little sense, but was so awful that it ruined movies released 20 years previous (4, 5, and 6). Darth Vader, no longer that Evil, Menacing force to be Feared, but some whiny little love-sick brat, who quite frankly seemed like he was beaten about the head/brain way too often as a child.

With this in mind, I rented Episodes 4, 5, and 6, though only 4 and 5 were available for rent at the time with 6 arriving tomorrow. Then my power went out for a week, but now that it was back this weekend, I watch 4 and 5 in one day. And let me tell you something... George Lied.

I remember reading an interview with him, where he claimed he had the whole story mapped out from day one. He knew who was related to whom. He knew what would happen to whom. This didn't fit my memory of the original movies, and watching them again, I found that I was right and George Lucas is a big, fat liar! Pants on fire. The whole bit.

There is just so much dialog in 4 and 5 that show Luke and Leah are not related and probably have been having a lot of sex, and that Darth Vader wasn't his father. I can see that he might have had an inkling of that idea, but the whole story doesn't bare it out. I mean, he built C-3PO, yet he didn't recognize him. So many people just didn't know each other, yet they met in 1, 2, and/or 3.

Well, I can always find flaws in any movie. The problem I had with 4 and 5 was how evil The Alliance was. When the Empire blew up a planet, was there cheering on the Death Star for the people who died? No, they had a job to do to protect the Empire, and they were doing it. Luke shot missiles down a hatch killing everyone on board Death Star. A station that big probably had families on board, even if not, had to have had a very, very large crew. When he successfully killed them all, there was much cheering on the Alliance side. I never saw a Dark Lord high-five someone after killing someone, but Light Siders seem to do that all of the time. Luke is a mass murderer. And the Light Side is the Evil side.

-Edward

No comments: