Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Where does it all go?

I keep meaning to post earlier in the day, while I am more awake, but time seems to elude me. So, you probably think the title of this post is a reference to where does all of the time go. That is the funny thing about pronouns, they refer back to something, which implies a common context between listener and speaker. I love to practice double-speak and try to do it as much as possible. The art of this is in having more than one person listening to what you are saying, and wanting to say different things to each people listening (a planned something). You can pull each person aside and tell them what you want to say, but that is kind of crass. Instead, you want to say something that is actually ambiguous (an intersection of all of the messages, whittled down to the ambiguous core), but each person will have a previous context and therefore get a different meaning from your statements. The more complex the message, the better, and the more fun it is to try an encode it. Some of my fondest memories are of things that I have said in answer to a question when suddenly half of the people listening will start laughing and the other set thinking I answered their question (which I had) wondering what was so funny.

So, what else did I hope the title of this blog to convey? Since there are only a few people in the world who would understand it because they were there, and I am in contact with none of them currently, it is my tribute to their memory. A group of us were playing poker at my friend and his wife's house. He took a bathroom break, then came out looking like he was in shock. He said, "I was in there, when I caught a reflect of myself going to the bathroom. I had forgotten how huge I was!" He turned to his wife and said, "Honey, where does it all go?"

-Edward

No comments: