Monday, June 19, 2006

Strange Dreams

I've always had strange dreams - I almost never dream of anyone I know in "real life." But in my dreams, I have complete memories of my life there, people I know, things I have done, places I have been, etc. Probably true for most people. But what makes them seem so real? Why are the places in my dreams fairly consistent? Like the other night, I dreamt of this person who had wanted to correct a problem in time, so he need to travel to the future. He was placed by The Powers That Be in a room that had two doors, one led to 10,000 years into the future and the other back to his current life. After some wacky, strange, yet emotionally charged adventures, he ends up back in the room with the choice of doors again, something that wasn't supposed to happen. So, no matter which door he goes through now, he will be the one that messes up time by creating a loop. Shocking, he created on the problems he was trying to fix. And yet, he has done this before, because I have had this dream before, though with a different set of adventures after he went 10,000 years into the future.

So, what am I trying to say here? Other people's dream are rarely interesting to anyone else. They have personal context and too many details to be recovered in order to tell a good story. And yet, I am interested in other people's dreams! They tell me so much about the person.

I had often thought it would be cool to make movies of my dreams, someone was telling me today about someone who has done this, but I realized it is not really possible. Dreams are for individuals... or are they? I always hope that someone else had had the same dream as me, then that would tell me... This is the Dream World! And the other world is the awake one!

Computer, end program.

-Edward

No comments: