Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Dirty Words

What is a Dirty Word? One of my favorite comedy groups is from Canada, they are called The Frantics. Funny stuff. They have a whole sketch about dirty words, which requires a lot of voice acting, and is therefore hard to do in a blog. Here is a summary:

Two men talking on a bus, one says how he likes to read the newspaper because of all of the dirty words. Person 2 says, there are no dirty words in the paper. Person 1 points to "Mayor Urges People to Take the Bus". Urges, he says. I have... Urges. Person 2 states that they didn't mean it that way. Person 1 points to "Area Man Unhappy". Area. I've got Urges in my Area. Person says that's disgusting and totally not what they meant.

But, did they? Who knows what the person was thinking. Did headline writer choose words that could be taken out of context? Or was in it all in the head of Person 1?

I do not think that there are any dirty words or dirty thoughts, since all things that are thinkable are natural (ie part of nature). How can anything that is part of nature be dirty? But, I do believe certain word choices are funnier than others, and this is the route I take when choosing which word to use (as well as which word I can actually spell). Simple words like pussy, one can slip it into any sentence. Does it really mean anything outside of you?

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
A ham sandwich is better than complete happiness, because nothing is better than complete happiness, yet a ham sandwich is better than nothing.

Make your words mean what you want them to mean - I believe someone in Wonderland once said-ish.

-Edward

PS Looks like The Frantics are still around, I first heard of them in the 80's. I added a link to them - they have shows this summer! In Canada. :(

No comments: