Friday, April 06, 2007

Trapped

Have you ever seen Defending Your Life? I remember loving that movie years and years ago. I believe that I saw it more recently and didn't care for it as much - Albert Brooks really just annoys me as the perpetual nebish. Still, it had some really amazing scenes, some very funny and some that I still think about to this day. All of the interesting lines in the movie were delivered by Rip Torn's character: Bob Diamond. Do yourself a favor, watch this movie.

The one quote that I think about frequently is applicable to this blog and my time away. A problem is how I store information, though I guess most people store information this way, so I am not stating that I am unique in this way, just that I store information this way. I remember things by what I was thinking at the time the even in question happened. And I do not remember words, because I do not think in words. I remember the quote I am interested in, and I remember the power I feel when I think of it, but I just do not remember the words, just the thoughts it inspires within me. When I try to come up with the words to my favorite quotes, I do not even get close to the words, or even the actual meaning of the quote - it looses something in the translation back to English. So, with all of this stated, let's get to the my version of the quote.

Albert Brooks' character is dead and has to defend his life in order to move to the next phase of life. Very interesting premise for me. Rip Torn plays his lawyer in the afterlife. The people who work in the after life use around 50% of their brains, while in the movie we on Earth are considered to use only 3%. Using his big brain, Rip's character appears to Albert's character to be a sly lawyer who uses every trick in the book to defend Albert's characters life. At one point in the movie, Rip Torn's character misses a court date. The next time they meet, Albert's character is upset, he feels let down. He demands to know where Rip's character was, why he missed the court date. Rip's character says that Albert's character just wouldn't understand. He says try me. Okay, so here is the quote part. "I was trapped at the intersection of thought." Albert's character says, "Your right, I don't understand."

The Edward

No comments: