Monday, April 16, 2007

Musical Eatery

I was in Vegas last week and while having a great time there I learned quite a few interesting things about the world and the people around me that I call Humans. See, I've been going to restaurants for years - I eat out for most every meal. Something that I noticed about some places, they have live music. I always thought that everyone was like me - they found the live music annoying and were very glad when the musicians took a break from torturing the eaters. On this trip I found that this is not true.

While dinning at a place with my friends who were on the this wild trip with me, I commented on the annoyingness of the music. They said that they liked the music. I was taken aback for a few seconds while I pondered this. I look around at the other people in the restaurant and saw them in a new light. When the band finishes a song, they always clapped. I just assumed it was to be polite, kind of a "wow, they are finally finished! But, I do not want them to feel bad for forcing us to listen to them play, so I will validate them a bit with some hand slapping.", but it wasn't so! The people were probably clapping because they were enjoying the music and they wanted the band to know it. I had never considered this before...

So, with this new insight, I asked my friends at the table, and they said "Yes, the music is good. It matches the ambiance of the place. And when the band takes a break, everyone can talk again." Their statements didn't make sense to me, but it seemed to to them, so I accepted their words at face value. People can actually enjoy the music at restaurants!

I guess in retrospect, it makes sense. If customers all found it as annoying as I do, they could save themselves a lot of money on band expenses by just not having one. Since they spent the time and money having a band, it must add to the experience of the customers. Logically, it seems to make sense that most people enjoy it. I guess it was something that I never could have guessed, since it really was something that I never considered.

The Edward

No comments: