Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A Man in Vegas

I was in Las Vegas yesterday. I had one of the strangest experiences there. I had been telling people before I went to Vegas that I was going to win $10 million. People called me crazy. I sensed doubt from them. But when I arrived in Vegas, I found that Megabucks was up past $10 million! So, played for a bit.

While I was playing, I was contemplating my victory. I asked myself, what will it be like when I win? People will ask me what I plan to do with the money, and I will tell them I was going to use it to fund my research. Or even make up something really weird, like use the money to promote the color red.

While lost in my thoughts, an old man came to my attention. He was standing next to me - too close for my comfort and so close I was surprised that I hadn't notice him approaching somehow. He spoke to me. He said "You are xx years old. What are you going to do if you win that $10 million dollars?" xx was indeed my age, so I was surprised. I usually just ignore people whom I do not know, but this was kind of odd, so I stopped playing the machine to pause to think what I was going to say to him.

I decided to just blow him off, so I smiled and said "I'm going to retire." He looked at me and said "No your not." Then he said "I guessed your age. You are not going to win. If you did win, you wouldn't quit working. You are not going to retire. You are not going to buy a boat, move to Florida, and sail for the rest of your days."

I was kind of taken aback. I was still unsure what to think of this situation. I decided to be honest, but curt, so I said "You are right, I wouldn't retire." He smiled, turned around and walked away.

I wonder still about this event in my life. Who was he? Was it a coincidence that he asked me the very question I was pondering how I would answer if asked? I guess I will never know...

The Edward

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Welcome to the world of weird and seemingly random events. You have been grazed by coincidence and sychronicity (sp?).

The Edward said...

I think he put a curse on me! I was winning big until then. Afterwards, I kept thinking about what he said, and I lost everything very quickly.

Bethany said...

An old guy in Vegas standing close enough to touch you who knows your age. This is nothing mystical. Obviously the guy is a pick-pocket. He knows your age from looking at your ID in your wallet in some quick moment. Keep in mind he's a pro and probably been doing this 50 years. While he had you jabbering away, he smoothly replaced your wallet, but he had removed most of the cash, or a good chunk. Since you always carry 100 dollar bills and don't keep very good track and were distracted thinking of 10 mil, you never even noticed what was missing.