Thursday, September 14, 2006

Final Part of my Friday...

Part five. Figure it out, chimp boy.

I wept not for my loneliness, but because I realized that everyone was asleep. People around me are constantly manipulating and being manipulated by others. And there are people out there who have learned this and can make people do extreme things to one another. And people have to be careful which ideas they expose themselves to so that they do not become someone that they would currently hate to become. And they can be trap in these situations, not because there is no way out (there is), it is just that it requires not listening to others so they do not see it.

I realized that I have a choice, and I exercise it all of the time. I can expose myself to far out ideas. I never have to worry that someone else's words will make me do something I do not want to do. I didn't worry about the affect of my words on others (though I guess I will have to now), since I didn't know there was an affect. Which is why I live over-the-top and say odd things, because the words are just for fun, no matter what.

I can tell by this point that I probably have offended some people who might read this. I believe most people reading this will misunderstand what I am trying to express in words. I can here it now, "You are so arrogant. You believe you are above us all. You believe you have freewill and none of us do. I make choices. I am not one of those weak-willed Mr. Loser types!" It is true that I can not speak for everyone, some of you might be free. How can you tell if I think you are one of us? Do you believe that words can make someone do something? Is it part of your unspoken beliefs? Do you believe that Hitler was guilty of any crime for telling people to do things? Do you believe that the person on the phone telling a fast-food manager to rape someone is guilty of a crime? I do not believe any of these are true. Or, at least what I believe about others based on what I know of myself.

General Semantics talks about all of this. When I first read the books, I didn't understand why they were written - they were so obvious in their truthiness I didn't understand the controversy. Alfred would teach GS, and on his first day of class, he would have someone walk into the room and yell at him, throw stuff around the room, threaten violence, then storm out. He would ask people to write down what they saw so he could press charges. Most of the students were upset at what they thought was a real situation. He would then tell them that the situation was fake. Anything they felt was because of them, not any external tension, because there was no tension, just actors. The words of others have no meaning, save what the hearer gives them.

I can not imagine that there are many people out there like me, based on my memories of the past and what I see of society today. I hope to be proven wrong... In the meantime, I will sit in my high castle and look down on humanity, knowing that Nietzsche was right about at least one thing.

The Edward

No comments: