Monday, October 16, 2006

Over analysis

As much as I live in my own mind now, it used to be more (though, I guess...). I used to think that everyone analyzed every detail of every aspect of life. I thought people picked up on subtle word usage to determine hidden meanings. I thought humour derived from subtle meaning shifts in words. I lived in a Monty Python world and thought that the world was the same as my view of it.

But, I now know that to be wrong. People are all trapped in their own little worlds, never having time to really explore others. I used to think people were staring at me, watching me, waiting for me to trip up or something. But, through a strange sequence of events, I came to know the truth - everyone else is doing the same thing. People think others are waiting for them to trip up, so they are watching others to see if anyone notices, etc.

I used to think that the popular kids in school were unapproachable, because they were better in some way. Then one day, I saw through them, and knew that they were just like everyone else - afraid. After that I could talk to anyone of them without the fear of them others had, because I knew they existed solely in the minds of others.

How does that lead to the actual topic? Well, I tell you. Actually, I already have, and that is another aspect to this Realization - people do not spend time looking for hidden meanings, like I do. As I've said more than once, I pepper my writing and speaking with what I really want to say, and I believe that others not only do this themselves but are actively looking for it in others. I think I am being clear in my intentions, but others see it differently. I remember back in school, I wouldn't finish my sentences, because I assumed that once all of the relevant information was out there, the ending was obvious - it took me years to correct this "problem." Now, I believe I over explain. But, do I? I guess if I am still not getting the point across, I must not be, but it seems that I use too many words, doesn't it? Or do I...

The Edward

1 comment:

Samantha said...

So you search for hidden meanings of others and I spend my time second guessing myself and ignoring others. Once I've done that several time THEN I look for hidden meanings. Which reduces me to a bundle of nerves. Nice state of being. It'd be great if life was more like Monty Python. Seeing the humorous side of things would certainly be easier.