Friday, October 06, 2006

Birthdays

In my religion (Church of Satan), birthdays are the most important day of the year. For without ones birthday, all of the other holidays are meaningless.

I've noticed that others do not share my beliefs, which could either be because they have not hear the good word of Satan and what he can do for them, or some other reason. I'm always happy that people help me celebrate my birthday every year, so I try to do the same for them. But, some people do not consider birthdays special, so it can be awkward: "I emailed all of your friends to arrange a party for your birthday! What, you do not want to be reminded that you are now a year older? You do realize that you are actually only a day older and the party is to celebrate the anniversary of your birth, right? Depressing to be XX years old? But you were that old yesterday (minus a day)." Then everyone sits around gloomy, while the birthday boy/girl struggles to get out of the straight jacket. Not as exciting as someone who is really into birthdays, someone who is willing to blow out the candles, no matter where they have be placed on his/her body.

I consider my birthday to be the start of the New Year. I take time off, I reflect on the past year, I look forward to the coming year, I usually quit my job or make other big changes on my birthday. It is too easy to let time slip away, so having one day be a day of reflection makes sure that years don't pass away unnoticed. Though, noticing them can suck to "Another year alone. Why have I never had a girlfriend on my Birthday? I hear it can be a lot of fun... (sob)."

So, make sure you celebrate your birthday - it is what Satan wants you to do. (at least that is what he told me) And be sure to celebrate with a Black Mass, which usually entails blowing out some candles while in a darkened room. And have your gifts wrapped in paper, so that the demons of this world will not realize that there are goodies inside. And have a steak, which is what I plan to do this Saturday.

The Edward

2 comments:

Madpuppy said...

"What, you do not want to be reminded that you are now a year older?"

I hate it when people ask you how it feels to be older on your birthday. I agree with you- you're only a day older than you were the day before- it's not as if your body is in stasis for 364 days, and then magically ages one year overnight.

When I turned 40, people asked how it felt to be 40- I said "Not much different than being 39 years 364 days old."

Samantha said...

I don't actually think of my birthday in terms of age. It takes me a minute to remember how old I am and then I have to convince myself I am that age. Not that I'm denying the late 30's, I just don't think or feel anything about it (well, other than the sagging boobie syndrome).

I agree, I take my b'day month to get all checked out health-wise and think of new better habits I want to start up. This year was to stop dressing like a baglady. Oh, and cook real food for myself more (read: adding fresh spinach - that is not from CA - to my alfredo on my tortellinis).

I would love for someone to throw me a big ole b'day bash with a massive buffet, choc cake, prezzies, and all the other fixings and trimmings. The last bash was for my 16th, you know, coz attaining that awkward and difficult age is such a milestone.