Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Those are people who died, died

Man alive, I used to love that song. It so encapsulated life. But what brought this on, you might ask? Go ahead, ask!

Charles Nelson Reilly passed away on Friday. I was a big fan of his works when I was a child. While reading about him, I saw that Tom Poston passed away as well. I admit, the name sounded familiar, but it wasn't until I went to imdb.com and saw his picture that it all came flooding back to me - he was on like everything! A good guy, but no Charles Nelson Reilly was he!

Back to Charles. He was right up there with Paul Lynde and Johnathan Harris as people who influenced my life when I was young. Sure, there were others that I was a fan of: Don Knotts and Bob Crane come to mind, but they were just good actors. The Big 3 - they were different!

As a kid, I saw all that was on TV, that was all I did was watch TV (kind of why I hate it now). And all of it was kind of bland, except for Sid and Marty Krofft shows. But as actors go, they were different. Flamboyant. They lived life large and weren't afraid of being different. Later people told me they weren't flamboyant, but rather gay. Whether they wanted to have sex with women or men, how does that change flamboyance? I consider them separate things.

I love the flamboyant lifestyle - which I define as anything over the top - leather, vinyl, bright colors, chains, etc. And they were over the top, in their own way. But now they are all gone, we are are left with people like Brittney, Lindsey, and Paris - shallow comparisons to really living large. Who will be around to inspire the next generation, to tell people that it is okay to be different, to tell people that bright colors are okay for all to wear? Who?

But for all people who are dead, I have the same feeling. Death only affects the living. Enjoy the people you treasure while they are alive. Once they are gone, move on to other people who are living. Let the dead have their peace.

The Edward

5 comments:

Madpuppy said...

Charles Nelson Reilly gone? No more Captain Croc? That's too bad- I hadn't heard the news.

Are any of the original Match Game regulars still alive?

The Edward said...

I can not believe it either. It happened Friday, and yet it didn't really make the news until yesterday. I must admit, I didn't notice a disturbance in the force with his passing... :(

To quote Charles, "When I die, it's going to read, "Game Show Fixture Passes Away". Nothing about the theater, or Tony Awards, or Emmys. But it doesn't bother me."

But to answer your question: Richard Dawson and Brett Somers. This was a surprise to me, since I was sure Mr. Dawson died in the 90s.

Madpuppy said...

To quote Charles, "When I die, it's going to read, "Game Show Fixture Passes Away".

Heh.

To me, he'll always be Jose Chung anyway.

Hell's bells.

Anonymous said...

This was a good post, but I think you should have written about those two lost whales instead.

The Edward said...

Those whales, sadly, didn't die, so I couldn't mention them in my post. Now, that whale that beached itself in Oregon a few years ago and was blown up with dynamite - that I can talk about. Funny video, that one is.