Monday, November 10, 2008

Party Foul

So, the elections are over. Looks like the Democratic Party swept the elections. And yet, if that were true, why did all of the socially liberal laws fail? Look at California. Gay people here believe that the Democratic Party represents them. The party says that they want to take eveyone's money and distribute it equally - and they will probably do that. They say that they stand up for the rights of all equally, and yet in California, a state that they handily carried in the election, none this passed. The Democrats voted away the rights of some citizens.

What does this mean about the Democratic Party? Are they really a party of the common man, a party of the people, a party looking out for you?

Libertarians claim to be socially liberal and financially conservative. I used to think that they had some beliefs from each major party, but after this election, I'd have to say that the Democratic Party is the opposite of the Libertarian Party - they share no common ground, sadly.

-Edward

2 comments:

Aravind Krishnaswamy said...

I find it very sad and somewhat ironic that a very large proportion of African Americans and Hispanics voted for Prop 8. One of these two minority groups has been a victim of inequality and bigotry for centuries, yet a large proportion of the that group chooses inequality for another minority. Truly sad indeed. As someone who grew up being an acute minority, I have found it easy to empathize with those struggling for equality. I guess I just assumed that other people who were/are minorities felt the same way.

For what its worth, I believe much of the Democratic Party's leadership along with the President Elect was opposed to Prop 9.

Janani said...

Uh, my brother just said what I was going to say.