Tuesday, November 11, 2008

How can you watch this?

There is movie club, see. I have been a moderator for it for over a decade now, see. It sometimes befalls me to select the movie that the club sees, see. See, I can use three sees in a row, but that is a topic for a different time and place.

I tend to not watch dramas. I enjoy movies, though I often ask myself, "Why?". What is a movie, really? Is it trying to tell me a story? Should it try to represent reality? Should it be wacky and try to make me laugh? What makes a SciFi realistic? Fine questions, but not the topic for right now either, see.

As I see it, people are acting, and yet they are themselves. No matter how much one tries, parts of oneself show through, especially in short skirts. If one is presented with a surprising event in real life, there are automatic reactions - blood flows to certain places, slight changes in pupils, subtle movements in the corners of the mouth, which direction the eyes go, etc. Actors, when in their role, are trying to make the audience believe that they are this other person experiencing these events. The problem for me is that I can tell that they are not, which is why I hate dramas.

Dramas I believe are supposed to best represent real situations. Subtle emotional plays. And yet, they will look right at the person they are talking too - something most people do not do in real life dramas, or they will look away, dramatically. How can one feel that what one is watching is "real" when the person on screen is supposed to be recalling a visual tragic event when they are looking level and to the right, which is obviously the dialog recollection eye position? See.

The Edward

No comments: