Saturday, November 25, 2006

Friend's Sister

Throughout my time on this planet, I have made many friends. A lot of these friends seem to have sisters (or a close woman friend), but not just sisters, single sisters. While it is true that I do not like people in general (actually, I tend to really hate people when I first meet them, but I'm good at covering it when I want to), I found that I actually enjoyed meeting a few friend's sisters. I always thought that very odd, since I really do mean it when I say, I just can not stand to be around most people. So, to find someone that I am interested in being around is very rare. And to have someone in common with this single woman, even rarer.

The issue happens when I actually like this sister person. What do I do? If she doesn't like me and I ask her out, then I run the risk of ruining a friendship. Yet, if I do not ask her, I run the risk of never knowing if she is interested and missing out on a woman I know I at least enjoy spending time with, possibly more. So, many years ago, I struck upon this novel idea: I would ask my friend! He/She could then tell me if his or her sister said anything at all about me after meeting me, then I would take action from there, since I wouldn't want to leave my actual chance at hitting it off in someone else's hands. Seemed like a great plan! But, I found it not to work for me. :(

It seems that when I say "So, did your sister say anything about me." The universal answer is "No." :( So, I usually follow that up with "Can you ask if she had any opinion about me?" I have a brother, and if anyone ever had said to me "Say, is your brother interested in me, or had any thoughts whatsoever about me, could you tell me?" I would immediately ask him what he thought. You know, help out a friend and my brother. But, it seems that the answer to my second questions was also a universal "No." Shocking. So, now I am left with no knowledge, and no easy way to find out, or contact this sister in question.

In thinking about it over the years, and seeing it happening to me 2 or 3 times, I believe I understand the problem. Firstly, even though my friends know my general lack of interest in people in general, they somehow seem to believe that I am solely interested in their sister because I am interested in all women and she is a women, and that is all that matters to me. Since I do not believe I send that message, it must be that they have been asked all of their lives about their sister, so I just get mapped into that category, rather than being amazed at that I was actually really interested in her.

Secondly, if when the sister and my friend went back home after dinner, and my friend said "Edward was there for dinner" or some simple sentence like that, if she didn't excuse herself, jump up and run to the bathroom to pleasure herself with the shower-head while screaming my name for an hour, my friend would think there was no interest on her part. My friend's thoughts, in my mind, run like this "Wow, she only used the water pick, not the full on shower-head, so she obviously has no interest. No use actually asking her what she thought, since there is no obvious interest. Probably only disdain since her shouts only woke up one neighbor rather than two or more. Sad, really, they seemed to get along so well at dinner." And that is the end of it, and I just hear the "No, I would rather not take the 5 seconds it would take to ask her "What did you think of Edward?""

So, if you are reading this, and are a single sister of a friend and have met me, but thought, "Wow, my brother/sister never said anything about Edward, he must not have enjoyed dinner enough to even mention me to his friend! I'll just never bring it up, since there was obvious no interest." you might be wrong. Very wrong.

The Edward

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Honestly, meeting you was rather a blur. No offense, I was just in that "oh my god I'm in California and I have so much to see, do, meet, shop, eat, etc". You can put it down to the beginning of the deteriorization of my social skills and that my brain is rather a sieve when it comes to retaining things.

The Edward said...

No problem, when we met I was in a relationship that was ending. I remember enjoying your company and thought it would be cool to get in touch with you at some point, and here we are!

It took me a long time to actually put the words to this blog down for reasons I will not be able to explain well enough in this comment, even though I thought of the blog entry a few months ago. I didn't want you think I was singling you out since I know you read my blog and I know that you know that I know that you read my blog, etc.

The situation has happened to me a few times, but I do not hold it against anyone for something not working out or even not remembering me. I just find it odd and a little frustrating when it does happen, since I really meet so few people that I actually enjoy talking to.

As for the blog, I thought it would be a funny commentary on how I see some things in my life and try to overcome the frustration of some past events - not being able to contact someone and not sure if I did whether there would be any level of interest in any kind of relationship on either side.

Samantha said...

I didn't think you were "singling" me out. I got it, lots of sisters out there, as well as brothers. Only my luck is the brothers are younger. Ah youth...