Wednesday, April 30, 2008

There is no LA!

I've talked about movie to LA off and on for many years now. The main thing holding me back was, I had never actually been there. True, I drove through it many times on my way to visit some good friends in San Diego, I went there for a taping of Who's Line Is It Anyway (but we spent the whole time at the studio), I went to shop in the Goth section with a good friend, and I went to Disney Land. But beyond they, I never really saw LA, just one block areas of two-ish locations.

Lately, I've been feeling the build up - I've been thinking of LA more and more. I just felt I had to move there - so I took some action last week! I found that I have a relative who lives there, and not only that, he has been there for 20 years and really loves it. Perfect, I went to visit him and asked that he show me why he loves LA so much! And he did!

He showed me around - I had a great time visiting! And since I've returned, I've been happier than I can remember. I realized something on this trip: There is no LA! Not the nebulously place in my mind. The place I visited was a real city, with real streets, with real people, and it wasn't the happy fantasy land that I had built in my mind. It is just another place. It is kind of like that place in Dark City, the place that the main character tries to get to through out the whole movie, only to find out that... well, you get the idea.

This proves two things to me: 1) It is not LA that I want, but what LA represents to me that I want - now I just have to figure out what the LA in my mind represents to me, 2) When I go to Vegas, I like it there, but when I return, good friends tell me that I am in a much better mood by far over what I was when I left - which means there is no Vegas either.

The Edward

1 comment:

Madpuppy said...

Well, Dorothy Parker had this to say about LA- "There's no there there."

That's how I feel about the place- it's just a bunch of buildings that you have to drive to.

Now, Manhattan- that's a real city. Come back to the East Coast!