Thursday, April 24, 2008

Bugs in Google's Products

I guess if you label everything as "beta", you never really have to fix any of the bugs. That seems to be Google's philosophy. They claim "Do No Evil" is their motto, but their blog software, the very software I am using right now to write this, proves this to be false!

I was taught proper style was to put two spaces after periods. But Google knows better. I correctly format my blog posts, but as soon as I click the spell check button, it reformats my blog to only have one space. See, they know better! They are changing the very things that I am typing! I waste my time typing the spaces to begin with, then I go back and try to fix them before I post. "Do No Evil" my ass!

Then there is gmail. Seems like a great idea - why not keep all of your personal emails on a server somewhere and trust them to keep it safe and secure? In fact, when gmail was first launched, there was no way to delete an email, because why would you want to? I mean, just because you might have gotten an email with a password, or something that you do not want anyone else to every read, why should you have to ability to delete that? Google knows better.

Though, can one really blame Google? I mean they hire the best and brightest people that they can, so that they can all work on adsense. Most of the products people associate with Google, Google actually bought. Great business idea - make lots of money on a simple idea, then use that money to buy better products. Make money off of those, then repeat. Worked for Microsoft and a lot of other companies. Though, Microsoft has a research division that actually produces some interesting and useful stuff, like F#.

I guess I am tired of it all. I get tired of having to deal with incompetents, and so have bowed out of society. And yet, everything I want to do requires some level of computer/human interaction. I want to keep in touch with friends, but I have to deal with gmail losing emails for me. I have to deal with bad UI, with slow programs, with incompetent drives, rude people, law breakers, radio ads where they repeat the phone number four times, etc. Maybe Forbin was on to something!

The Edward

No comments: