Thursday, August 30, 2007

Pre-Burnt

I heard something interesting the other day... though I am not sure it is was a few days or a few weeks ago. Obsession really distorts ones sense of time...

Humans have lived in fear of fire for a long time. There were many great fires in memory. Half of Chicago burned, London burned, The White House burned, etc. But have you noticed that we do not hear of these kinds of things any more? I never really thought about until I heard this: "We do not live in fear of fires because we live in pre-burnt structures"!

We burn out anything that might burn from bricks, steel, glass, etc. If all of the materials out of which we build no longer have anything left that can be burnt, there is no stored "fire energy", hence no fires. Interesting, no?

This got me to thinking about the current love of my life - food. We Humans cook our food, and by doing so are removing some of the energy from that food. The foods we cook have less energy to stoke our inner fires, so to speak. So maybe the Japanese are on to something with this Sushi thing...!

This leads to a personal note from me - I love burnt food. I love burnt cheese especially. Grilled meats are amazing because they are burnt on the outside. Yum! If other people think it is burnt to a crisp - beyond eatable, I'm there cooking it a bit longer for my tastes.

So, does this mean that by my love of burnt foods that I am depriving myself of the energy content of the foods that I eat? How about you - how do you want your steak cooked now?

The Edward

2 comments:

Samantha said...

My mom loves to char her hotdogs and hamburgers. If they aren't second cousins to coal, she doesn't like 'em. I loved to have really really brown cheese on my bread or bagel - the toaster oven was good for catching it right at the exact brown moment! YUM as well. Ditto for Jimmy Dean sausage, I like it very crispy. But burnt popcorn, abysmal.

The Edward said...

Excellent! I have to agree with you up to a point. Crispy sausage - indeed! Browned cheese on most anything, yes! Burnt popcorn, the jury is still out. It has been years since I have burned any, but I remember liking the taste, but hating the smell. I know I like the unpopped kernels when they are all nice and burnt.

After reading your comment, I made me some popcorn in the microwave. I even left it in for a minute beyond what I normally do. Nothing. Not a single burnt kernel. Though, more of them were popped. I'll have to try a pan with oil next time. I have to know now if I really do like burnt popcorn, or if it is just a mis-rememory.

Thanks!