Sunday, May 29, 2011

Order

I realized something the other day.  I was finally able to put together a coherent picture of what I value in life, and I was at peace.

People who "know" me "know" that I like Chaos.  Hang around me and you will see that I sprinkle Chaos here and there for no apparent reason.  I like seeing things change in Chaotic ways.  I remember when I got my first and only speeding ticket, I was so happy that I laughed the whole way home, because my life had suddenly changed in a way that I couldn't predict.

But a friend once said to me that I didn't love Chaos, that it was all a sham.  Well, I thought that was odd, because I believe she was the one that said I reminded her of Loki.  She went on to say that if I loved Chaos, then I would love children, because they are bundles of Chaos.  That was indeed a puzzler for me, something that sat in the back of my mind for six-ish years now...  then I had the aforementioned realization!  She was right, I do not love Chaos, but love Order - I had just confused the two.

What I love is the appearance of Chaos.

It was once said that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic", which is something that I hold to be true.  My realization is that the same can be said about Order - "Any sufficiently advanced Order is indistinguishable from Chaos", and that is what I love.

There is this commercial that I love to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QctBJj3Ilhk  From the outside viewer all of the events appear Chaotic, but from the point of view of a really insightful person it is actually a very Ordered set of events.

All of this matches my actual World View - what I think of the gods people call "trickster gods", like Loki, is that people view them from the wrong point of view.  They are not evil or Chaotic, but so very Ordered that it is beyond the scope of normal Humans like us to understand.  There is a SciFi novel I read a long time ago in which there were a group of people that lived thousands of years and they would do things that would seem random to normal people, but for them had payoffs hundreds of years in the future.  I loved that story and have modeled my life around it.

Summary:  Chaos is not what you think, it is probably just Order with a depth outside of your level of experience.  And that is how I view Chaos, something that I do not understand, but somewhere, some being does and to him it appears as Order.

The Edward

No comments: